The lentil, a type of legume, has been sustaining mankind for thousands of years. Although they may be cheap, lentils are very nutritious, filling, and more importantly, arguably the most flavourful of all the legumes. This recipe is a great dish which includes cashews or walnuts. Serve with your favourite vegetables, mashed potatoes and top with gravy, you’ll have some very happy eaters!
- Make a flax egg – 1 TBSP flax & 2 TBSP water
2. Toast 1 cup breadcrumbs & 1 cup cashews (walnut or almonds) in a dry skillet, tip into a large mixing bowl
3. Cook 2 onions, 2 garlic cloves, 2 celery stalks & 1 carrot in olive oil until soft.
4. Add thyme sage oregano, s&p.
5, Add to bowl with nuts & breadcrumbs. Then add 1-19 oz can rinsed and drained lentils, 1/3 cup tomato paste & 1/4 cup raisins and the flax egg, mix well.
6. Transfer to a loaf pan & top w/ketchup
7. Bake 50 minutes @ 400, let rest 10 mins